The Skanchy Store in Utah in 1966

The Skanchy Store in Utah in 1966

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Podcast-Anthon Lorenzo Skanchy

Just wanted to make you aware of my Podcast that I put up last week.
It's right along the side, right underneath the blog archive.

It tells of the story of Anthon Lorenzo Skanchy's parade float that he made in 1904, shortly after he came back from being the Scandinavian Mission President.
After looking through the newspapers for Skanchy's in the Logan area, I kept happening upon an ad that always went a little like this:
Logan Republican, 1904-06-25, Local News
After searching a little deeper, I finally found what little house he kept referring to:
Logan Republican, 1904-06-08, The Final End of June First-Parade
As my podcast explains, he made a small custom house to put on his float for the parade, and it was apparently a crowd favorite. Hope you enjoy it!


4 comments:

  1. This is some cool history that you have found. Keep it up (if you have time). It is fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten. I have seen your name on my Ancestry DNA Match. It caught my eye because our names are very similar. I was looking up the history of Skanchy's market. I am the great-grand-daughter of Anthon L. Skanchy. His son Tony SKanchy is my paternal grandfather. My dad and all of his siblings worked in Skanchy's Market growing up. My grandfather took over the store after his father passed. Thanks for posting the history. Free to contact me at email listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, correction. Anthon L. Skanchy was my Great-great grandfather. His son Oliver L. Skanchy was my Great grandfather and Tony Skanchy my paternal grandfather. I did have a chance as a young girl in the early '70's to go visit Logan and Skanchy's market, but I have been told it was torn down. Thanks for posting a picture of it.

      Delete
  3. Kirstin, Keep this up. It is great! I noticed our name sake (Kristin, Kirstin, Christine, Ann and Anne) is throughout our family tree in some form or another. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete